Christ Is the Answer Ministries (CITAM) formerly known as Nairobi Pentecostal Church was established in 1959, as a ministry of Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada (PAOC). It was born out of the need to establish an English speaking multi racial church that is grounded in the word of God and sound doctrine.
In 2003 Nairobi Pentecostal Church changed its name to Christ is the Answer Ministries (CITAM) and registered as an autonomous independent entity under the Societies Act of Kenya. The new name is drawn from our well known motto “Christ is the Answer” believing that only Jesus Christ can provide the answers to human challenges and needs.
Our history dates back to 1952 when John McBride a PAOC missionary arrived in Nairobi with the vision of establishing a church.
The first church services were held at Rahimtulla Hall near Jevanjee Street. In September 1960, the Church moved to 28 Valley Road where the present NPC Valley Road is located. The first sanctuary built by Rev. Richard Bombay was dedicated to God in October 1960. At that time the church was known as Pentecostal Evangelistic Centre (PEC).
The church was a small assembly of 20-30 members who were mainly European and Canadian expatriates. He built the first sanctuary that was dedicated to the Lord on 0ctober 22nd 1960. It was during the pastorate of Rev. Mervyn Thomas in the 1970’s that the name of the church changed from Nairobi Evangelistic Centre to Nairobi Pentecostal Church (NPC). He is credited with the design of the church logo and his leadership in the writing of the first Church Constitution.
There was tremendous growth in the 1980’s during the pastorate of Rev. Roy Upton and Rev. Dennis White, who handed over the leadership of the church to Bishop Bonifes Adoyo, NPC’s first African leader.
From a small assembly with a morning service attendance of about 20 to 30 people, the church has experienced continuous growth to the current over 30,000 people in Sunday service attendance.